Study in Canada: A Pathway to Permanent Residence

Studying in Canada enables international students to a receive world-class education in one of the most desirable environments. Upon graduation, international students can apply for a work permit in Canada and consider provincial and federal programs for permanent residency status. 

gaining admission


You can gain acceptance to a designated learning institute by meeting their admission requirements.

FSS Canada has been in the  Canadian education industry for over 38 years and currently represents over 300 educational institutions. Our experienced and knowledgable consultants are here to help you choose the right school that best matches your aspirations, abilities, and desires.  Please contact us or make an appointment for a free consultation.

Once you have received a Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from a designated learning institute and paid tuition fees, you can apply for a study permit to obtain your legal status in Canada. The basic requirements for a study permit includes:

  • a Letter of Acceptance from a designated learning institute
  • a valid passport or travel document
  • proof of financial support
  • Approved study permit application
  • Valid travel document
  • Confirmed travel itinerary
  • Arranged health insurance and accommodation in Canada
  • Pack your belongings according to Canadian Custom regulations
  • Bring all necessary documents (e.g. letter of acceptance, confirmation of study permit approval, transcript, etc.)
  • Valid Electronic Travel Authorization or visitor visa
The Post-Graduation Work Permit


  • Applicants can receive only one post-graduation work permit in their lifetime
  • To obtain a post-graduation work permit, the applicant must currently hold valid temporary status or have left Canada
  • They must have graduated from an eligible designated learning institution (DLI). They must also submit clear evidence that they meet all of the following criteria:
    • They have completed an academic, vocational or professional training program at an eligible institution in Canada that is at least 8 months in duration leading to a degree, diploma or certificate
    • They have maintained full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program
    • They have received a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that they have met the requirements to complete their program of study.

The applicant must provide evidence that the program or programs of study were taken in Canada at one of the following eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs):

  • a public post-secondary institution, such as
    • a college
    • a trade or technical school
    • a university
    • CEGEP (in Quebec)
  • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions in Quebec
  • a private secondary or post-secondary institution in Quebec offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to
    • a diploma of vocational studies (DVS)
    • an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS)
  • a Canadian, private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees, such as an associate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree, but only if the student is enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree, as authorized by the province, which may not include all programs of study offered by the private institution

A post-graduation work permit may be issued based on the length of the study program for a minimum of 8 months up to a maximum of 3 years

Disclaimer: The material and information contained on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice. Although best efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of information at the time of writing, we cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of all information. As information may change without notice, always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website for the most accurate and up-to-date information.