International Student Study and Work in Canada

Untitled design

Are you an international student in Canada wondering about taking breaks from your studies or exploring work opportunities during your academic journey?

International students in Canada can enjoy pre-defined breaks like winter holidays, summer vacations, and Reading Week without impacting your study permit status. Each break is permitted for up to 150 days, with a cumulative maximum of 180 days per calendar year.

Longer Breaks (Over 150 Days)

For breaks exceeding 150 days, two options exist:

  • Leave of Absence: This option allows you to remain in Canada for up to 150 days while not actively pursuing studies. Work authorization is not granted during this period. 
  • Change to Visitor Status: This option permits a longer stay but prohibits both study and work activities. You will need to submit a new study permit application to IRCC when ready to resume your studies.

Full-time student working in Canada:

Full-Time Opportunities: Leverage winter and summer holidays, or reading weeks to work full-time. Remember, this applies only if you’re enrolled as a full-time student both before and after the break.

Work Restrictions: Working during breaks before your first semester is not permitted.
Flexible Hour Options: If your program lacks scheduled breaks, you can still work up to 20 hours per week throughout regular semesters.


Disclaimer: The information from the newsletter is directly derived from IRCC. The material and information contained on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice. Although best efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing, we cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of all information. As information may change without notice, always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website for the most accurate and up-to-date information.