Study Permit in Canada

Explore how you can attain a world-class education and secure Canadian residence as an international student.

Study Permit

Temporary Residece

Initial Study Permit

The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply

Study Permit Extension

To maintain legal status in Canada as a student, one must extend the study permit before the current one expires.

Student Direct Stream

Depending on your place of residence, you may expedite the processing of your study permit by utilizing the Student Direct Stream. IRCC aims to process the majority of SDS applications within a swift timeframe of 20 calendar days.

Easy Steps to Study in Canada


Eligibility Check Your application
The initial step involves an eligibility check of your basic information and biometric status. We ensure that you meet all necessary criteria for a study permit application.


Collect and Review your Documents
You can follow our document checklist for the study permit application, sending us all required documents (such as Letter of Acceptance). We will thoroughly review all submitted documents and inform you promptly if any items pose a risk of refusal.


Type Forms for your Application
We will prepare the necessary forms for your application and provide you with the documentation for your review and signature.


Finalize and Submit your Application
We will finalize all the necessary documents and forms for your application. Subsequently, we will submit your study permit application through our online portal to IRCC.

Study Permit FAQ

A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days let you either

The amount of time you can stay in Canada after you’ve completed your studies depends on whether

If you’re taking prerequisite courses

If your school asks you to take courses before they accept you into the main program (you have conditional acceptance), your study permit will be valid for the length of those courses plus 1 year.

When you get accepted into the main program, you must apply to extend your stay as a student.

If your study permit will expire before you finish your studies

If your study permit will expire before you finish your courses, you must apply to extend your stay as a student.

If you don’t, you’ll need to stop studying and leave Canada.

If you’ll finish your studies before your study permit expires

If you finish your studies early, your study permit will stop being valid 90 days after you complete your studies, no matter what day is printed on the study permit.

Your studies are officially completed on the date your school first notifies you by any of the following:

  • completion letter
  • transcript
  • degree or diploma

You must provide proof of the date your school notifies you or the date you get your degree, diploma or certificate. If you don’t have proof, we’ll use the earliest issue date on the document. We may confirm this date with your school.

Yes. You can leave Canada and return as long as your visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is still valid. If your visitor visa or eTA is expired, you must apply for and receive a new one before you leave.

When you return to Canada

If your study permit is still valid, or we extended your permit while you were away, we may let you enter as a student.

If we’re still processing your study permit extension, we may let you enter as a visitor. In this case, you can’t study until you get your extended study permit. The officer at the port of entry may also ask you to prove you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.

A border officer may have some questions for you when you arrive back in Canada. If the officer believes there’s reason to refuse your re-entry, you won’t be able to re-enter Canada. The officer may ask you for a copy of your extension application, the fee payment receipt, or any other document to prove you applied for an extension.

A list of DLIs at the post-secondary level is available in the Global Case Management System (GCMS). Officers must use the IRCC DLI list.

“DLI number” is the external term used for Organization ID in GCMS. This number is assigned to a post-secondary institution once IRCC receives confirmation of its designation status from its provincial or territorial ministry of education. A list of all DLIs at the post-secondary level, along with their respective DLI numbers, is available on the IRCC website. Officers must ensure that the correct DLI number is associated with the application. A DLI number (Organization ID) can be found in GCMS under the “Organizations & Entities” tab; “Type = Organization”; “Sub Type = Designated learning institution”.

If you possess a study permit, you have the privilege to work without obtaining a separate work permit, and to secure part-time employment, it is imperative to possess a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN); nonetheless, the right to work ceases upon discontinuation of full-time studies or the expiration of the study permit.

Call or Email FSS Canada Immigration with your Canadian Immigration Questions.