Visitor Visa in Canada

Coming to Canada for a holiday, to visit friends, or for short-term activities will require the appropriate visa, or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Visitor Visa

Temporary Residece

Temporary Resident Visa Renewal

Canadian students and workers have the option to renew their Temporary Resident Visa from within the country through our immigration services. The Temporary Resident Visa is designed for individuals who anticipate leaving and returning to Canada in the near future

Visitor Record

Visitors currently in Canada have the option to apply for a visitor record to extend their stay, provided they can substantiate a valid reason for needing to remain in the country. Additionally, students or workers can change their status to visitor as a means of maintaining their presence in Canada.

Overseas Visitor Visa

Applicants eligible for the Overseas Visitor Visa must apply outside of Canada. This visa is intended for countries where the use of eTA to enter Canada is not permitted. The processing time will vary depending on the specific country of application

Visitor Visa / Record FAQ

A visitor record says that you have visitor status in Canada and how long you can stay.

It doesn’t guarantee that you can leave and then re-enter Canada.

If you plan to travel outside Canada or the United States, you must meet our entry requirements to return to Canada.

You can only apply for a visitor visa from inside Canada if you meet all of these criteria:

  • already are in Canada
  • hold a valid study or work permit
  • want to leave and return to Canada in the near future, and
  • have an existing visitor visa that’s expired, or is about to expire, or that was valid for only 1 entry

YA visitor record is for people who want to do either of the following:

You don’t need a study permit for a course or study program that lasts 6 months or less. However, getting a study permit when you don’t need one has benefits.

You still need a valid travel document (electronic travel authorization or visitor visa) to come to Canada. You must get a study permit if you want to study for longer than 6 months.

Call or Email FSS Canada Immigration with your Canadian Immigration Questions.