Open Work Permits for Recent Hong Kong Graduates

Hong Kong Skyscrapers Skyline Cityscape View

Recent Hong Kong graduates will be able to apply for new open work permits valid for up to 3 years.

To be eligible, you must:

1. Hold a valid passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) or the United Kingdom to a British National Overseas (BNO)

  • The work permit will be issued for up to 3 years from the date of approval or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. For example, if your passport is valid for 6 months, then you will be issued an open work permit for 6 months.
  • To maximize the duration of the open work permit, make sure your passport is valid for at least 3 years from the date of approval.

2. Have graduated no more than 5 years before you apply for this open work permit, with:

  • a degree from a designated post-secondary learning institution in Canada or abroad, or
  • a diploma for a minimum 2-year program from a designated post-secondary learning institution in Canada or abroad

If you got your diploma abroad
If you got your diploma outside of Canada, you must provide an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from an organization or a professional body designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. They’ll give you a report that tells you what your education is equal to in Canada.

  • Processing times and costs vary by organization or professional body.
  • Once you choose a designated organization or a professional body, they’ll tell you how to submit your documents to get your assessment.

Retrieved from:

Disclaimer: The information from the newsletter is directly derived from IRCC. The material and information contained on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice. Although best efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing, we cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of all information. As information may change without notice, always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website for the most accurate and up-to-date information.