Maintaining legal status upon graduating your studies

IMM Newsletters Picture 2 (1627 × 729, 像素) (2)

When to extend your study permit:

If you want to keep studying, you must apply to extend your permit at least 30 days before it expires.

  • Make sure your passport doesn’t expire at the same time.
    • Your study permit cannot be extended beyond your passport’s expiry date.
  • If you apply beforeyour permit expires, you can continue to study under the same conditions as your current study permit until we make a decision. This only applies as long as you stay in Canada.

If you finish your studies earlier than expected:

Your study permit will expire on whichever date comes first:

  • the date marked on the permit or
  • 90 days after the day you complete your studies

When do the 90 days begin?

The 90 days begin

  • on the date you get the first notification from your school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) that you completed your program or
  • when you get your degree, diploma or certificate.

If you can’t prove the date you were first notified by your school, we’ll use the earliest issue date on the document. We may confirm this date with your school.



Disclaimer: The information from the newsletter is directly derived from IRCC. The material and information contained on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice. Although best efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing, we cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of all information. As information may change without notice, always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website for the most accurate and up-to-date information.