Reapply for your eTA after renewing your passport

Visa team - IMM newsletter

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), all visa-exempt individuals holding non-Canadian passports, regardless of whether they hold a valid Canadian study or work permit, need to apply for an eTA when flying to Canada.

eTA stands for Electronic Travel Authorization. It is an electronic permission that allows visa-exempt individuals holding non-Canadian passports to travel to Canada for short stays (usually up to six months per visit).

If you already have a valid Canadian study or work permit, but you have renewed your passport, you will need to apply for a new eTA. This is because your eTA is linked to your passport number, so once you change your passport, your old eTA will no longer be valid.

Applying for an eTA is quick and easy. You can do it online through the IRCC website by filling out a form and paying a fee. Most applications are approved within minutes.

Here are some tips for applying for an eTA:

  • Make sure you have a valid passport before you apply for an eTA.
  • You will need to provide your passport number, name, date of birth, contact information, and other personal information.
  • You will also need to provide your travel information, such as your planned date of arrival in Canada and your destination.
  • The cost to apply for an eTA is 7 CAD.


Disclaimer: The information from the newsletter is directly derived from IRCC. The material and information contained on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice. Although best efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing, we cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of all information. As information may change without notice, always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website for the most accurate and up-to-date information.