From Post-Graduation Work Permit to Immigration

PGWP to immigration

Students who complete their studies at an eligible Canadian designated learning institution (DLI) may apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

PGWP is an open work permit that allows graduates to work and to gain Canadian work experience as:

  • Full-time
  • Part-time
  • Self-employed


Depending on how long their program of study was, their PGWP may be valid for a period of 8 months to 3 years. However, if the validity period of their PGWP goes past the expiration date of their passport, the applicant will be required to renew their passport before applying for a work permit extension. 

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience in National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0 or skill level A or B that is gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class within Express Entry.

Directly retrieved from: